A busy street in Denmark lined with colourful buildings in front of a canal.

Work and travel in

Choose another destination

A lighthouse on a beach in Denmark.

How to

Who can apply?

To work in Denmark through the Working Holiday program, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-35 years old (inclusive), and
  • have a Canadian passport that’s valid for at least 3 months more than the length of your stay
    • for example, if you’re staying in Denmark for 6 months, your passport must be valid for at least 9 months

Other requirements may apply. Check Denmark’s website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a Working Holiday Permit.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

No, you do not need a formal job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or a formal internship offer.

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay in Denmark up to 12 months but you can only work in Denmark for up to 6 months and study for an additional 6 months during the 12-month period.

You can participate in Denmark’s Working Holiday program once.

People walking and biking down a boardwalk that leads to the ocean in Denmark.

Start your

About Denmark

Denmark, part of Scandinavia, is south of Norway and Sweden and north of Germany.  With the 16th longest coastline in the world, Denmark is a great place for water activities, and beach holidays are a popular activity for the Danish. Denmark is home to the world’s oldest monarchy and is a great country to explore historical castles and many historical Viking sites.

Even with a very small population of about 5.7 million people, Denmark has a reputation as a cultural hotspot with Danish design, architecture, green energy solutions and food being areas of focus. Denmark enjoys one of the highest standards of living in the world and a stable economy thanks to the renewable energy sector, an advanced agricultural sector and maritime shipping.

Danish is the official language of Denmark but many Danes are exceptionally fluent in English.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Before you leave, remember to register as a Canadian abroad to receive notifications in case of an emergency while you are abroad or of a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Recognized Organizations

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most recognized organizations charge a fee for their services.

Page details

Date modified: