Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot: How to apply

Home Child Care Provider Pilot

We’ve received at least 2,750 applications under the Home Child Care Provider pilot. This means

  • the pilot is closed to new applications for 2021
  • we’ll return any other applications we receive and refund the fees

The pilot will reopen to new applications on January 1, 2022. You can also look into other options for caregivers in Canada. Caregivers who are already in Canada could also have the opportunity to apply for permanent residence through the recently announced temporary residence to permanent residence pathway for essential workers.

Home Support Worker Pilot

We’re not close to reaching the cap for the Home Support Worker Pilot. You can still apply under this pilot. We’ll update this page if and when we close this pilot to new applications for 2021.

If you already submitted an application

You don’t need to contact us about an application you submitted in 2020 or 2021 under either pilot. We’ll send you a notification letter as soon as possible to confirm we’ve received your application. It may take longer than usual for you to get this letter due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

How to apply

Tell us where you’re applying from to find out how to apply.

Where are you applying from?

  • Outside Canada
  • Inside Canada

    Do any of these situations apply to you?

    You can only use the in-Canada application if you’re currently in Canada and:

    • have a valid study or work permit, have maintained status or eligible for restoration
    • your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit
    • you’ve graduated from a program at a:
      • Canadian university
      • community college
      • CÉGEP
      • publicly funded trade/technical school, or
      • other eligible school
    • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for 6 months or more
    • you’re allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit to work in a different job
    • Yes
    • No

Follow these steps to apply through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot.

Step 1: Get a valid job offer

You need a genuine and valid job offer before you apply. The person who wants to hire you needs to give you the completed Offer of Employment IMM 5983 (PDF, 2.33 KB) for you to sign and include in your application.

Step 2: Get the instruction guide

If you’re applying from outside Canada

Use the instruction guide for applicants outside Canada to get the forms you need and to help you fill out the forms correctly.

If you’re applying from inside Canada

If you’re eligible to apply from inside Canada, use the instruction guide for applicants inside Canada to get the forms you need and to help you fill out the forms correctly.

You can now apply online

We’re testing a new online immigration application. You can use it to apply(opens in a new tab) .

Step 3: Complete your application

  1. Fill out the forms on a computer
  2. Some forms have a ‘Validate’ button that helps you check if you completed all the fields in the form. When you’re done filling out these forms, click ‘Validate’
    • If there are any fields you still need to fill out, they’ll be outlined in red
  3. After you successfully validate the forms, you’ll get a barcode page
  4. Print out all the forms, including the barcode pages
  5. Sign and date all forms
  6. Use the Document Checklist – Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker [IMM 5981] (PDF, 3.39 MB) to make sure you have everything

Answer all questions carefully, completely and truthfully. There are serious consequences if you misrepresent yourself or leave out relevant information on your application.

Step 4: Pay your application fees

In most cases, your fees include:

Study and work permit fees for your family members

If your family members are applying for study or work permits with your application, you need to pay fees for those too.

When you finish paying your fees, you must print a receipt for each of your payments and include all your receipts with your application.

You have to pay your fees online.


You and your family members may need to give your fingerprints and photograph (biometric information) at a biometric collection service point.

In most cases, you must pay a biometrics fee when you submit your application. Otherwise you may experience delays. The biometrics fee covers the cost of collecting fingerprints and a digital photo.

After you pay the biometrics fee with a complete application, we’ll send you a letter to tell you if you need to give your biometrics and where you can go. You must show this letter when you give your biometrics.

You must give your biometrics in person. You should book an appointment.

Find out if you need to give biometrics.

Third-party fees

You have to pay third parties if you need a:

The instruction guide can help you understand which fees apply to you and how to pay them.

Step 5: Submit your application

Make sure you:

  • answer all questions
  • sign your application and all forms
  • include your fee payment receipt, and
  • include all the supporting documents

Before you submit your application, use the Document Checklist – Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker [IMM 5981] (PDF, 3.39 MB) to make sure you don’t forget anything. If you forget something, your application will be sent back to you.

Mail your complete application to the appropriate address at the Case Processing Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Don’t send your application to any other processing center or immigration office.

Submitting work and study permit forms online

If you apply for permanent residence online

  • upload your work permit form under Upload required supporting documentation
  • choose Other as the document type

Follow the same steps if you need to submit work or study permit forms for your family as well.

If you have a work permit that’s about to expire

If you apply before your current work permit expires, you can keep working until we make a decision on your application. In this situation, you’re maintaining your temporary resident status. You must stay in Canada and continue to meet the conditions of your current work permit. You may want to renew your work permit separately from your PR application if you can.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: