Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Passports and travel documents
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we’ve reduced passport services. We’ve done this for both your safety and the safety of our staff.
On this page
- Passport services in Canada
- Refugee travel document or certificate of identity services (available for urgent travel only)
- Passport services in the United States and abroad
- Passport and travel document fees
Passport services in Canada
How you get passport services depends on when you need them. If you need a passport, find out how to apply. Updated February 9, 2021
Walk-in services at Service Canada Centres and passport offices (Service Canada Centre – Passport Services) are still unavailable.
If your passport expired on or after February 1, 2019
You can still apply to renew your passport at any time. Once you renew your passport, it will still be valid for 5 or 10 years.Find out if you can renew your passport
If you need passport services
We recommend you don’t finalize any travel plans until you get your passport.
We aren’t liable for any losses if we can’t deliver your passport in time.Find out how to apply for passport services
Refugee travel document or certificate of identity services (available for urgent travel only)
You can only get travel document services in Canada if you have a valid reason to travel urgently.
Valid urgent travel reasons include if you’re travelling
- for a medical reason because you have a serious illness
- because of the serious illness or death of someone you know
- because you’ll have financial problems from the loss of a job or business
- to support an essential service
- for humanitarian reasons
- You need a letter from your organization that lists the humanitarian reasons.
The loss of airfare or other travel expenses is not a valid reason for urgent travel.
If you submitted an application in person or by mail and you don’t need to travel urgently, we’ll process it when normal services resume.
If you don’t need a travel document urgently, wait until normal services resume.
We suggest you don’t apply if
- you don’t meet the above criteria for urgent travel
- you have symptoms such as coughing, difficulty breathing or a fever
- you’re in isolation
Get urgent refugee travel document or certificate of identity services
Fill out the IRCC Web form:
- select the category for a certificate of identity or a refugee travel document
- include your travel date
- include the reason you need urgent services
Passport services in the United States and abroad
If you need a passport urgently or you need one in an exceptional circumstance (illness, death), contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate. Additional fees apply.
Before you travel to Canada
The COVID-19 pandemic restricts most travel to Canada. If you’re eligible to travel to Canada, make sure you know the rules and what you need to do before and after you arrive. Use the checklist that applies to you:
Passport and travel document fees
COVID-19 is causing disruptions to our services that are beyond our control. As a result, we may not always meet our passport and travel document service standards.
If you submit a passport or travel document application between April 1, 2021, and September 30, 2021, you aren’t eligible for any fee refunds under the Service Fees Act.
Learn more about
Please take a few moments to rate your experience with this page.
Updates and related links
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: