Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Passports and travel documents
We’re experiencing high call volumes. You may experience long wait times. If your request is not urgent, or you have general questions
- find out which passport and travel document services are available, including how you can apply
- check our Help Centre
If you need to contact us
- email us
- check your application status using our web form
- book an in-person appointment (in Canada only)
Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice. If you can’t avoid it, follow our official travel advice and advisories to protect yourself and your family while outside Canada.
This page has information about the services we have available and how to access them.
Before you travel or apply for a passport or travel document
- review the ongoing travel restrictions
- if you need to renew your passport, you may have extra time
On this page
We’ve put measures in place to protect both you and our employees’ health and safety. These measures have affected how quickly we can process applications. If your request is urgent and you need to contact us
If you do not need your passport urgently we ask for your patience while we process your application.
Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice. If you need to travel, follow our official travel advice and advisories to protect yourself and your family while outside Canada.
Passport services are available. You must apply either
- by mail or
- in person
Walk-in services are available, depending on the capacity of the location. Check for available services before you go to a passport office (Service Canada Centre – Passport Services) or Service Canada Centre.
Outside Canada and the United States
How to apply
Find out how to apply
- to renew an adult passport
- You may be able to renew your passport if it expired on or after February 1, 2019.
- for a new adult passport
- for a child’s passport
- to get certified true copies
- to change a name
We recommend you don’t finalize any travel plans until you get your passport.
We aren’t liable for any losses if we can’t deliver your passport in time.
Check your application status
You can check your application status if you submitted it more than 20 business days ago.
If you just applied, wait at least 20 business days before contacting us.
Before you enter or exit Canada
You should avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice. If you can’t avoid it, follow our official travel advice and advisories to protect yourself and your family while outside Canada. If you have to travel, make sure you know the rules and what you need to do before and after your trip.
- If you need to enter Canada, use the Entering Canada requirements checklist to make sure you’re eligible.
- If you’re leaving Canada
- make sure you know the rules in the country you’re travelling to or through
- get the latest travel information, advice and advisories before you go
Refugee travel document or certificate of identity services (available for urgent travel only)
You can only get travel document services in Canada if you have a valid reason to travel urgently.
Valid urgent travel reasons include if you’re travelling
- for a medical reason because you have a serious illness
- because of the serious illness or death of someone you know
- because you’ll have financial problems from the loss of a job or business
- to support an essential service
- for humanitarian reasons
- You need a letter from your organization that lists the humanitarian reasons.
The loss of airfare or other travel expenses is not a valid reason for urgent travel.
If you submitted an application in person or by mail and you don’t need to travel urgently, we’ll process it when normal services resume.
If you don’t need a travel document urgently, wait until normal services resume.
We suggest you don’t apply if
- you don’t meet the above criteria for urgent travel
- you have symptoms such as coughing, difficulty breathing or a fever
- you’re in isolation
Get urgent refugee travel document or certificate of identity services
Fill out the IRCC web form:
- select the category for a certificate of identity or a refugee travel document
- include your travel date
- include the reason you need urgent services
Passport and travel document fees
COVID-19 is causing disruptions to our services that are beyond our control. As a result, we may not always meet our passport and travel document service standards.
If you submit a passport or travel document application between April 1, 2021, and December 31, 2021, you aren’t eligible for any fee refunds under the Service Fees Act.
Learn more about
Please take a few moments to rate your experience with this page.
Updates and related links
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: